- olive oil
- 5-6 large onions, both red and white, chopped
- some sprigs of thyme, only the leaves
- 125 g all-purpose flour
- 125 g whole wheat flour
- 1 heaping teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 75 g unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into pieces
- 150 ml milk
- 250 g feta cheese
Upside Down Onion Pie
Αdd to my “Recipe Book”
Need to login
- Preheat oven to 180* C (350* F) Fan.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan. Add the onions and thyme leaves and cook for 5-8 minutes over medium heat. Stir continuously until the onions soften and turn golden. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a 22 cm round nonstick cake pan.
- Crumble 150 g of feta cheese over them.
- Combine the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Add the butter and mix with your hands to create a mixture that resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Add the milk and mix until a soft dough forms.
- Transfer to a lightly floured working surface. Roll out the dough until it becomes a sheet that is a little larger than the cake pan.
- Place into the cake pan and press the edge of the dough to cover filling, all the way around.
- Pierce the top of the pie with a sharp tipped knife to allow the moisture to escape while baking.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the dough cooks and becomes firm.
- When ready, remove from oven and set it aside to cool for a few minutes.
- Turn out pie and cut into pieces.
- Crumble the remaining 100 g of feta cheese over the top and serve.
Nutrition information per portion
Shows how much energy food releases to our bodies. Daily caloric intake depends mainly on the person’s weight, sex and physical activity level. An average individual needs about 2000 kcal / day.
Are essential to give energy to the body while helping to maintain the body temperature. They are divided into saturated "bad" fats and unsaturated "good" fats.
Known as "bad" fats are mainly found in animal foods. It is important to check and control on a daily basis the amount you consume.
The main source of energy for the body. Great sources are the bread, cereals and pasta. Use complex carbohydrates as they make you feel satiated while they have higher nutritional value.
Try to consume sugars from raw foods and limit processed sugar. It is important to check the labels of the products you buy so you can calculate how much you consume daily.
It is necessary for the muscle growth and helps the cells to function well. You can find it in meat, fish, dairy, eggs, pulses, nuts and seeds.
They are mainly found in plant foods and they can help regulate a good bowel movement while maintaining a balanced weight. Aim for at least 25 grams of fiber daily.
A small amount of salt daily is necessary for the body. Be careful though not to overdo it and not to exceed 6 grams of salt daily
*Based on an adult’s daily reference intake of 2000 kcal.
*To calculate nutritional table data, we use software by