- 2 green apples, peeled and cut in to 0.5 cm cubes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 6 frankfurters (350 g total) cut in to rounds, or chorizo if for adults
- 250 g cheese, grated
- 1 small bunch parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon dry thyme
- 1 egg
- 2 puff pastry sheets or kourou dough sheets
- 1 egg yolk, for brushing
Sausage Apple Turnovers
1 hour 30 minutes
Αdd to my “Recipe Book”
Need to login
- Preheat oven to 200* C (390* F) Fan.
- Place a pan over high heat.
- Add the butter, sugar and apples. Sauté until they soften, caramelize and melt a little on their own. This should take about 7-8 minutes.
- When ready, set aside until needed.
- Try to remove the casing from the sausages and beat them in a food processor to grind.
- Sauté the ground sausages in a pan for 3-4 minutes without adding any oil or butter. Set them aside to cool.
- In a bowl, combine the apples, sausage, cheese, parsley, thyme and egg until they are completely combined and the mixture comes together.
- Season with salt and pepper, if needed.
- Transfer filling to a pastry bag if you would like a smoother filling or you can spread it by hand.
- Spread one sheet of puff pastry on a lightly floured working surface.
- Pipe three strips of the filling along the width of the large side of the puff pastry sheet, parallel to one another. Try to keep the same distance between them and leave a 2 cm border.
- You want to create 3 long filled tubes when you cover it with the second sheet of puff pastry.
- Brush the edges and in between the filling with some water or some egg so that the dough can stick together.
- Cover with the second sheet of puff pastry and carefully press down on the dough in between the filling to seal each turnover.
- Cut between the filling to create 3 long turnovers and then cut each turnover in to 3 or 4 pieces so that you have 12 pieces total.
- Use a sharp knife to make two slits over each piece.
- In a bowl, add the egg yolk and 1 teaspoon of water and lightly beat.
- Brush the mixture over all of the pieces.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or as long as necessary for the filling to cook completely and for the puff pastry to turn nice and golden.
Rate this recipe You need to login