- 1 kilo strawberries, stems removed
- 500 g granulated sugar
- 1 madagascar vanilla bean or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- optional, various spices like star anise, white cardamom
- juice from 1 lemon
Αdd to my “Recipe Book”
Need to login
- Place the strawberries and sugar in a large glass bowl. If you don’t want the jam to be too sweet, add less sugar but no less than 350 g. The proper strawberry-sugar proportion is 1 to 2.
- Split the vanilla bean in half, lengthwise, and scrape out the seeds with a knife. Add them to the bowl.
- If you choose to use spices, add them to the bowl in a small spice bag. If you don’t have one, simply wrap them in a piece of cheesecloth and tie with some kitchen twine.
- Crush the fruit as much as you like. If you want a smoother jam, crush them up more; if you want a chunkier more rustique jam, leave more pieces whole.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 12-24 hours.
- When ready, transfer to a deep pot with a thin base. A copper pot will work even better.
- Place pot over low heat and simmer for about 30 minutes, until the jam thickens. When ready you will notice that the jam has not lost any of its color or aroma.
- If you have a cooking thermometer, the temperature should reach 105* C (221* F) Fan.
- Remove from heat, add the lemon juice and stir.
- Remove and discard spice bag.
- Immediately transfer jam to sterilized glass jars and seal.
- When cool, the jam is ready.
Nutrition information per 100 gr.
Shows how much energy food releases to our bodies. Daily caloric intake depends mainly on the person’s weight, sex and physical activity level. An average individual needs about 2000 kcal / day.
Are essential to give energy to the body while helping to maintain the body temperature. They are divided into saturated "bad" fats and unsaturated "good" fats.
Known as "bad" fats are mainly found in animal foods. It is important to check and control on a daily basis the amount you consume.
The main source of energy for the body. Great sources are the bread, cereals and pasta. Use complex carbohydrates as they make you feel satiated while they have higher nutritional value.
Try to consume sugars from raw foods and limit processed sugar. It is important to check the labels of the products you buy so you can calculate how much you consume daily.
It is necessary for the muscle growth and helps the cells to function well. You can find it in meat, fish, dairy, eggs, pulses, nuts and seeds.
They are mainly found in plant foods and they can help regulate a good bowel movement while maintaining a balanced weight. Aim for at least 25 grams of fiber daily.
A small amount of salt daily is necessary for the body. Be careful though not to overdo it and not to exceed 6 grams of salt daily
*Based on an adult’s daily reference intake of 2000 kcal.