- 1.8 kilos fresh quince (1.4 kilos after cleaning)
- 1.1 kilos granulated sugar
Αdd to my “Recipe Book”
Need to login
Photo credit: G. Drakopoulos - Food Styling: T. Webb
- Wash and peel the quince. Cut into 4 pieces and remove the seeds and the tough parts of flesh. Reserve peels and seeds and put them in a piece of cheesecloth.
- Put the pieces of quince and the cheesecloth in a pot full of water. Boil for 15 minutes, until the fruit softens. Pierce them with a fork to see if they are soft.
- Drain and reserve their juice. You can boil the juice and make a very aromatic quince jelly.
- Mash the pieces of quince with a potato masher or in a food processor. Add the sugar.
- Put the puree back in the pot and cook over medium to low heat for a few minutes. Stir with a wooden spoon until the mixture thickens.
- Be careful while boiling because the mixture is very hot and can burn you if it splatters.
- At this point you can choose to make quince jam or quince cheese. Quince cheese, also known as dulce de membrillo, is a sweet, thick, jelly made of the pulp of the quince fruit.
- If you want to make jam, remove from heat once the mixture thickens.
- If you want to make quince cheese, continue cooking to make an even thicker mixture. Transfer mixture to a small baking pan lined with parchment paper. Spread evenly and allow to cool and dry.
- When dry, cut into pieces. Put some sugar in a small plate. Coat each piece in sugar on all sides.
Nutrition information per 100 gr.
Shows how much energy food releases to our bodies. Daily caloric intake depends mainly on the person’s weight, sex and physical activity level. An average individual needs about 2000 kcal / day.
Are essential to give energy to the body while helping to maintain the body temperature. They are divided into saturated "bad" fats and unsaturated "good" fats.
Known as "bad" fats are mainly found in animal foods. It is important to check and control on a daily basis the amount you consume.
The main source of energy for the body. Great sources are the bread, cereals and pasta. Use complex carbohydrates as they make you feel satiated while they have higher nutritional value.
Try to consume sugars from raw foods and limit processed sugar. It is important to check the labels of the products you buy so you can calculate how much you consume daily.
It is necessary for the muscle growth and helps the cells to function well. You can find it in meat, fish, dairy, eggs, pulses, nuts and seeds.
They are mainly found in plant foods and they can help regulate a good bowel movement while maintaining a balanced weight. Aim for at least 25 grams of fiber daily.
A small amount of salt daily is necessary for the body. Be careful though not to overdo it and not to exceed 6 grams of salt daily
*Based on an adult’s daily reference intake of 2000 kcal.