- 1 kilo black cherries (net weight meaning without pits or stems)
- 1 kilo brown sugar, jam sugar with pectin
- juice from 1 lemon
- 250 g sweet black grape wine (Mavrodafni)
Αdd to my “Recipe Book”
Need to login
Photo credit: G. Drakopoulos
The wine chosen for this recipe is a famous Greek wine called “Mavrodafni”. It is truly an exceptional sweet wine that is hard to substitute, but similar to port. It is a dark, almost opaque wine that presents aromas and flavors of caramel, chocolate, coffee, raisins and plums. Try it!
- Wash and dry the cherries. Put them in a bowl along with the sugar and lemon. Set them aside for 1 hour. Crush the cherries a little with your hand so that they can release even more of their juices.
- After 1 hour, transfer the mixture to a pot and bring to a boil for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and empty into a bowl.
- Allow to cool. Cover with a dish and refrigerate.
- Let it stay in the refrigerator overnight. The next day, strain the mixture and add the juices to the pot.
- Boil for 5 minutes and remove the froth as it comes to the surface.
- Add the wine and bring the mixture to a boil again. Boil on high heat for 5 minutes and remove the froth again if necessary.
- Add the cherries and continue boiling for another 5 minutes or until the jam thickens.
- Transfer to jars, sterilize and store.
Nutrition information per 100 gr.
Shows how much energy food releases to our bodies. Daily caloric intake depends mainly on the person’s weight, sex and physical activity level. An average individual needs about 2000 kcal / day.
Are essential to give energy to the body while helping to maintain the body temperature. They are divided into saturated "bad" fats and unsaturated "good" fats.
Known as "bad" fats are mainly found in animal foods. It is important to check and control on a daily basis the amount you consume.
The main source of energy for the body. Great sources are the bread, cereals and pasta. Use complex carbohydrates as they make you feel satiated while they have higher nutritional value.
Try to consume sugars from raw foods and limit processed sugar. It is important to check the labels of the products you buy so you can calculate how much you consume daily.
It is necessary for the muscle growth and helps the cells to function well. You can find it in meat, fish, dairy, eggs, pulses, nuts and seeds.
They are mainly found in plant foods and they can help regulate a good bowel movement while maintaining a balanced weight. Aim for at least 25 grams of fiber daily.
A small amount of salt daily is necessary for the body. Be careful though not to overdo it and not to exceed 6 grams of salt daily
*Based on an adult’s daily reference intake of 2000 kcal.