Special thanks to our member Panagiotis Theodoritsis for sending us the recipe of this delicious and refreshing dessert!
For the crust
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat or in a microwave placed in a bowl covered with plastic wrap.
- Beat the graham crackers and almonds in a food processor until they are very finely ground.
- Combine the butter and graham cracker mixture in a bowl with a spatula, until it comes together.
- Spread it on the bottom of a 23 cm spring form pan and press it down with a spoon or the bottom of a glass to make it compact.
- Do not press the mixture up the sides, you just want a flat base.
- Refrigerate for 20-30 minutes until you prepare the filling.
For the filling
- Use a whisk to beat the cream cheese and caster sugar together.
- Add the lemon zest and lemon juice and mix.
- Add the thickened heavy cream (whipped cream) and fold into mixture with a spatula.
- Pour the filling over the curst and smooth surface with a spatula.
- Refrigerate for 3 hours to chill or in the freezer for 1 ½ hours.
For the watermelon sauce
- Soak the gelatin sheets in cold water.
- Combine the pureed watermelon and caster sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the sugar melts.
- Remove from heat. Remove gelatin from water and squeeze to release excess water and add them to the warm mixture.
- Stir until combined and the gelatin dissolves completely. Add the vanilla and the food coloring for a deeper color.
- Allow to cool completely at room temperature.
- When the cheesecake chills and the cream becomes firm, spread the watermelon cubes over the surface. (They should be strained so no liquid falls on the top of the cheesecake.)
- Pour spoonfuls of the watermelon sauce over the top, carefully covering all of the pieces of watermelon and the whole surface of the cheesecake.
- Refrigerate again until the sauce chills and thickens. It will not turn into a thick jelly but quite a thick sauce.
- Use a kitchen torch to heat a thin knife or dip the knife in very hot water. Dry it off and run it between the cheesecake and sides of pan. Remove from spring form.
- Sprinkle with toasted almond slivers.
- Cut into pieces and always serve cold.