A super easy, super delicious apple pie that is suitable for fasting and Lent.
For the apple filling
- Peel the apples and remove the core and seeds.
- Grate them onto a kitchen towel, using the large blades of the grater.
- Wrap them in the towel and squeeze to remove most of the juices.
- Transfer to a bowl and add 1 tablespoon lemon juice. This will prevent the apple gratings to turn brown.
- Add the sugar, nuts, ginger, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Mix with a spoon and set aside until needed.
For the dough
- In a bowl, add the sunflower oil or vegetable oil, orange juice, orange zest and sugar. Stir with a spoon until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the flour and baking powder. Mix with a spatula until all of the ingredients are completely combined.
For the apple pie
- Preheat oven to 170* C (338*F) Fan.
- Grease a 25 cm tart pan with removable bottom with olive oil.
- Add half of the dough in spoonfuls to the tart pan to create the bottom of the pie crust.
- Add the apple filling and spread evenly.
- Top with the remaining dough in pieces.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes.
- When ready, remove from oven and allow it to cool for 30 minutes.
- Remove from tart pan, dust with icing sugar and serve.