Photo credit: G. Drakopoulos - Food Styling: T. Webb
This is a traditional French sweet. It used to be prepared with cherries that were not pitted, because while baking, they would release their special and delicate aroma.
- Preheat oven to 200* C (390*F) Fan.
- Prepare the mixture for the batter by whisking together the eggs and flour. You can use a hand whisk or a fork.
- Add the melted butter and sugar, a little at a time. Continue beating. Add the milk and vanilla. Beat until all the ingredients have been completely incorporated.
- Use half of the butter in the recipe to grease a 20 cm baking pan.
- Place the cherries on the bottom of the pan and pour the batter over them.
- Carefully place pan in oven. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Cut the remaining butter into small cubes and scatter over the top of the clafoutis.
- Turn the oven temperature down to 180* C (350*F). Bake for another 20-25 minutes.
- Insert a knife into the center of the clafoutis, to make sure it’s done. If the knife comes out clean, it is ready to be removed from the oven.
- Let it sit for a few minutes. Serve warm and sprinkle with a little extra sugar.