We would like to thank our member Panagiotis Panos for this exquisite dessert.
For the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 175* C (347* F) Fan.
- Combine the flour, semolina, almond powder, baking powder and coconut in a large bowl.
- In a mixer, beat the butter and sugar on high speed, until it becomes light and fluffy.
- Turn down the speed to medium and add the eggs one at a time, making sure each egg is completely incorporated before adding the next.
- Beat until the mixture is light and fluffy and add the flour mixture. Beat for another minute on high speed until all of the flour is completely incorporated.
- Grease a 25x34 cm baking pan with butter. Transfer mixture to pan.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until slightly golden. Insert a knife into the center of the cake and when it comes out dry and clean it is ready.
For the syrup:
- Combine the sugar and lemon in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil for 3-4 minutes counting from the time the mixture comes to a boil.
- When the cake is ready, remove from oven and immediately start to add spoonfuls of the syrup. Make sure the syrup is hot but not boiling hot. When you have added a few spoonfuls, hold the pan as close to the cake as possible and pour the remaining syrup over it. Do not pour it from high up because the surface will “peel” and come off.
- Sprinkle with a generous amount of ground coconut to completely cover the whole surface of the cake.
- Cut into pieces and serve. You can get 15 regular sized pieces or 20 smaller ones.