Photo credit: G. Drakopoulos - Food Styling: T. Webb
For the crumble
- Pulse the flour, almonds, brown sugar and salt in a food processor, until the nuts are finely chopped.
- Add the butter and pulse until combined. Transfer mixture to a shallow baking pan. Allow to rest for at least 1 hour in the refrigerator.
For the filling
- Preheat oven to 200* C (390* F) Fan. Place the oven rack on the middle level.
- Remove the seeds from the vanilla pod and add them both to a small pot. Add the butter and cook over medium to low heat. Lift and swirl the pan at intervals, until the butter becomes brown and is infused with the vanilla bean’s aroma. This should take about 4 minutes.
- While waiting for the butter to brown, combine the sugar, brown sugar, flour and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Add the pears and the pear liqueur and mix.
- Remove the vanilla pods from the butter and add it to the pear mixture.
- Transfer mixture to a 30x40 cm baking dish. Sprinkle with the crumble topping and press down on it gently.
- Bake for 30 minutes, rotating the baking dish continuously until the crumble turns golden brown and the filling starts to bubble. Allow to cool at room temperature.
- The crumble topping can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.