Ingredients for a 42x32 cm baking pan
For the crust
- Brush the baking pan with olive oil and spread out the first sheet of phyllo dough.
- Drizzle lightly with olive oil, cover with another sheet of phyllo and drizzle again.
- Cover with the third sheet of phyllo and spread half of the sugar, walnuts, cinnamon and cloves over it.
- Cover with the fourth sheet of phyllo and drizzle with olive oil.
- Cover with the fifth sheet of phyllo dough and add the remaining amount of sugar, walnuts, cinnamon and cloves.
- Cover with the sixth sheet of phyllo dough.
For the filling
- Preheat oven to 200* C (390* F) Fan.
- Place the milk, flour, sugar and vanilla in a pot. Whisk to combine.
- Place pot over medium to low heat and whisk continuously until the crème thickens.
- Remove from heat and reserve 1/3 of the crème in a bowl. Add the butter and stir until it melts and is incorporated. As soon as it cools, add the eggs and whisk.
- Add the crème from the pot to the baking pan and spread evenly over the phyllo crust.
- Add the crème from the bowl over it and spread it evenly. This cream will create a lovely golden crust and will help to cut the pieces of the pie nicely.
- Place the pie on a low rack in the oven and bake for about 1 hour.