- 500 g watermelon
- 110 g all-purpose flour
- 50 ml olive oil + an extra 50 ml for brushing pan and drizzling over dish
- 80 ml honey + extra for serving
- 2 tablespoons fine semolina
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds + extra for sprinkling over dish
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1 hour 15 minutes
Αdd to my “Recipe Book”
Need to login
It is actually a traditional Greek recipe they make in the Cyclades, a group of islands in the Aegean Sea. Unfortunately, one of the first times I tried this unusual pie, it was more of a sweet mush. But if you find one that is really well-made… it is amazing! I thought I’d come up with my own recipe to make sure everyone gets to eat great watermelon pie! It is actually a very simple recipe to make.
- Preheat oven to 160* C (320* F) Fan.
- Remove rind from watermelon and cut into 2 cm pieces.
- Remove seeds and put watermelon pieces into a strainer. Let them strain for 1 hour or until release as much liquid as possible.
- In a bowl, add the flour, olive oil, honey, cinnamon, poppy seeds and 1 tablespoon sesame seeds. Toss to combine.
- Brush a 30x20cm baking pan. Sprinkle with semolina and a generous amount of sesame seeds.
- Spread mixture in baking pan. Sprinkle the surface with semolina and sesame seeds.
- Drizzle or spray with some more olive oil and bake for 50-60 minutes.
- When ready, remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Serve with some honey.
Nutrition information per portion
Shows how much energy food releases to our bodies. Daily caloric intake depends mainly on the person’s weight, sex and physical activity level. An average individual needs about 2000 kcal / day.
Are essential to give energy to the body while helping to maintain the body temperature. They are divided into saturated "bad" fats and unsaturated "good" fats.
Known as "bad" fats are mainly found in animal foods. It is important to check and control on a daily basis the amount you consume.
The main source of energy for the body. Great sources are the bread, cereals and pasta. Use complex carbohydrates as they make you feel satiated while they have higher nutritional value.
Try to consume sugars from raw foods and limit processed sugar. It is important to check the labels of the products you buy so you can calculate how much you consume daily.
It is necessary for the muscle growth and helps the cells to function well. You can find it in meat, fish, dairy, eggs, pulses, nuts and seeds.
They are mainly found in plant foods and they can help regulate a good bowel movement while maintaining a balanced weight. Aim for at least 25 grams of fiber daily.
A small amount of salt daily is necessary for the body. Be careful though not to overdo it and not to exceed 6 grams of salt daily
*Based on an adult’s daily reference intake of 2000 kcal.