- Preheat the oven to 150ο C (300ο F) set to fan.
For the syrup
- In a saucepan, add the water, sugar, cinnamon, and orange rinds. Place it over high heat until it comes to a boil and the sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from the heat and set it aside to cool.
For the shredded phyllo dough
- To prepare the shredded phyllo dough, spread it apart with your hands over and over, for 5 minutes in order to make it fluffy.
- Put it in a big bowl, cover it with a kitchen towel and set it aside until needed.
- Coarsely chop the pistachio nuts and transfer them to a bowl. Then, add the raisins, finely chopped couverture, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves.
- Peel the apples and chop into 0.5 cm cubes, add them to the bowl with the rest of the ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon.
- Brush a 28 cm round baking pan with some of the butter.
- Spread half of the shredded phyllo, drizzle with half of the butter and spread the filling all over. On top of that, spread the rest of the shredded phyllo dough and drizzle with the remaining butter.
- Bake for 1 hour and 40 minutes.
- As soon as it is ready, remove from the oven and immediately pour the cold syrup over the pie.
- Set it aside for 1 hour so it can soak up all the syrup.
- Cut into pieces and serve.