For the ganache
- Add the heavy cream into a saucepan and transfer over medium heat until it comes to a boil.
- Finely chop the chocolate and add it to a bowl.
- Remove the heavy cream from the heat and add the chocolate in it. Allow 20 seconds for the chocolate to start melting and then stir with a spatula until the ingredients are homogenized.
- Set aside to cool well.
For the crust
- In a buttered and floured 25 cm heatproof baking dish, spread one of the shortcrust pastry sheets. Press lightly with your hands to spread it well.
- Spread the chocolate ganache and refrigerate it to thicken.
For the caramelized hazelnuts
- Preheat the oven to 185ο C (365ο F) set to fan.
- Place a pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the honey, the sugar, the butter, and let them melt.
- Add the salt, the vanilla, and mix.
- In a blender, break down the hazelnuts into large pieces and add them to the pot. Remove from the heat and let them cool well for 15-20 minutes.
- Add the eggs, mix well, and transfer the mixture over the ganache.
- Roll out the second shortcrust pastry sheet on your working surface and use a cookie cutter to shape any designs that you like. That way, the moisture inside your pie will evaporate.
- Cover the filling with the second pastry sheet and trim the edges.
- Brush the pie with the egg wash and bake for 40-50 minutes.
- Let it cool and serve.