Photo credit: G. Drakopoulos - Food Styling: T. Webb
For the dough:
- In a food processor, add the lemon zest, caster sugar and flour. Beat for 10 seconds.
- Add the butter and egg yolks and beat until a dough forms.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
For the filling:
- In a saucepan, add the milk, sugar, zest and poppy seeds.
- Simmer over low heat until the poppy seeds soak up all of the liquid.
- Add the raisins, lemon juice and liqueur. Boil for 1 minute more.
- Add the butter and vanilla.
- Stir and refrigerate to chill..
For the pies:
- Preheat the oven to 180* C (350* F) Fan.
- Roll out the dough to a 0.5 cm sheet.
- Use a glass or cookie cutter to cut out the dough into 6 cm circles.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Drop a shallow teaspoon of filling in the middle of each circle. Lift and pierce the edges in 2 places to form squares. The dough may crack a little but keep trying because when you taste these pies, it will be worth it!
- Use a spatula to transfer the pies to the baking sheets. Brush with some egg.
- Refrigerate baking sheets to chill, so that the pies keep their shape.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, until golden.