For the tart dough
- In a food processor, add the flour and sugar. Beat for 10 seconds to combine.
- Add the butter and beat until the mixture looks like coarse meal. Add 40 ml lukewarm water and continue to beat.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured working surface. Use the palm of your hand to press it together into a disc shape.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 190* C (374* F) Fan.
- Spread 2 sheets of parchment paper on a working surface. Dust them with flour generously. Dust dough with flour and place between the 2 sheets.
- Use a rolling pin to slowly roll out the dough between the parchment paper.
- If it doesn’t roll out easily, set aside for 5 minutes at room temperature so that it can soften.
- When the dough has started to spread a little, dust dough with some more flour to help it spread easier. It may need even more flour until it is rolled out completely.
- The dough needs to become as thin as a stack of 10 playing cards.
- When ready, use the rolling pin to help transfer the dough to a 26 cm tart pan. Press on it gently to fit into pan.
- Pierce bottom of tart dough with a fork.
- Cover dough with a large sheet of plastic wrap and add cooking weights (or beans) so that it doesn’t puff up while baking. Wrap the plastic wrap back around to cover weights.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- When ready, remove from refrigerator and brush with some egg yolk, diluted with water, until it takes on a golden tinge.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the weights and plastic wrap and bake for another 8-10 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
For the caramel
For the chocolate mousse
- Put the chocolate in a metallic bowl and place over a pot of simmering water (bain marie). As soon as it melts, remove from heat and set aside to cool at room temperature. Then add the egg yolks, stir until incorporated and set aside.
- In another bowl, beat the heavy cream until soft peaks form
- Beat the egg whites in a mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar and continue to beat until combined.
- Add 1/3 of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture. Then add 1/3 of the heavy cream mixture.
- Gently fold with a spatula until combined. This is done gently so that the mousse remains light and airy.
- Repeat the same process until both the egg whites and the heavy cream are finished. Keep folding gently until completely combined and a mousse is formed.
- Spread the caramel into the tart shell.
- Cover with mousse. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours until the mousse has chilled completely and become a little firmer.
For the chocolate ganache
- Heat the heavy cream and the chocolate in a saucepan over low heat. When the chocolate melts, remove from heat. Add the butter and stir to combine. Set aside, at room temperature, to cool.
- Spread over mousse layer in tart shell.
- Refrigerate again for 30-40 minutes, until firm.
- Sprinkle with ground walnuts and serve!