Similar to lemon pie, although definitely a less refined version of it! Perfect to pack children’s lunchboxes with and for you to take to work as a snack…
- Preheat oven to 160* C (320* F) Fan.
For the base
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Combine all the remaining ingredients in the mixers bowl. Beat with the hook attachment.
- Add the melted butter. Beat just until combined and a soft dough forms. Transfer the dough to a 26 cm round or square baking pan that has been lined with parchment paper. The parchment paper will make it easier to remove the sweet.
- Use a fork to poke small holes in the dough. Bake for ½ an hour until golden. Let it aside to cool.
For the filling
- Cut the lemons in half. Remove the seeds and juice. Add this juice to the rest of the lemon juice (the 90 g).
- Finely chop the lemon peels. Put in a blender along with the sugar and the lemon juice. Blend until the mixture turns into a paste. Add the eggs, one at a time, salt and corn starch. Add the melted butter last.
- Mix until the mixture becomes smooth. Pour over the baked base. Spread evenly.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until firm.
- Remove from oven and allow them to cool for 15-20 minutes. Remove from baking pan. Cut into rectangular pieces and sprinkle with caster sugar.