For the syrup
- Place a saucepan over medium to high heat.
- Add the sugar, water, lemon and cinnamon stick and bring to a boil.
- As soon as it begins to boil and the sugar melts, remove from heat and set it aside to cool completely.
For the walnut cake
- Preheat oven to 170* C (338* F) Fan.
- Beat the sugar and butter in a mixer for 2- 3 minutes on high speed, using the whisk attachment, until white and fluffy.
- Lower mixer’s speed and add the eggs one at a time, waiting for each addition to become completely incorporated before adding the next.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula and continue beating.
- Lower mixer’s speed again and gradually add the milk and vanilla extract.
- Beat a little longer and scrape down the sides of the bowl again.
- Beat for 1 minute longer. Remove mixing bowl from stand and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, baking powder, walnuts, chocolate, almonds and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the mixers bowl and mix with a spatula until all of the ingredients are completely combined.
- Grease a round 22 cm Bundt pan or cake pan with a hole in the middle.
- Transfer mixture to pan and spread it nicely. Hit the pan so that the mixture spreads even better and settles in to the pan.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes.
- When ready, remove from oven and just as it is hot and steaming from the oven, immediately pour the cooled syrup over it.
- you can puncture with a knife the dessert in a few places so that the syrup can soak easily.
- Set it aside so that it can absorb all of the syrup and cool for 1 hour.
For the chocolate ganache
- In a bowl, add the pieces of chocolate and heavy cream.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and microwave for 1 ½ minutes at 800 watts.
- When ready, remove plastic wrap and mix well until completely incorporated.
- Place the cake pan over a wire rack or over a serving platter and turn out chocolate walnut cake.
- Pour the glaze over the cake so that it falls nicely all over.
- Decorate with walnuts and dust with some icing sugar.