Photo credit: G. Drakopoulos - Food Styling: T. Webb
- Preheat oven to 175* (347* F) Fan.
- Grease and flour a 26 cm cake pan.
- Whisk the butter with the sugar in a bowl for at least 5 minutes, until it becomes fluffy and doubles in volume.
- Add the eggs, one at a time. Then add the orange zest while stirring continuously.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, add the orange juice, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Combine both of these mixtures in a mixer’s bowl, alternating between the two, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Add the chocolate drops and mix.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until you insert a knife into the cake and it comes out clean.
- When ready, remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
For the syrup:
- Place a small saucepan over medium to low heat. Add the sugar with the orange juice. Heat until the sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and pour the syrup over the lukewarm cake. Let the cake cool completely.
For the ganache:
- Place a bowl over a small pot full of water that is simmering over medium heat. Add the chocolate, heavy cream and coffee to the bowl. Stir until the mixture gradually melts and becomes smooth. Pour over cake.