Thank you Panagioti Theodoritsi for your very original cake recipe!
For the cake:
- Preheat oven to 190* C (374* F) Fan.
- In a blender, beat 100 g (of the 260 g) of sugar, cardamom seed, coriander seeds and peppercorns until finely ground.
- In a mixers bowl, beat the remaining sugar, butter and salt until it becomes light and fluffy. Lower the speed to medium and add the eggs, one at a time, waiting for each egg to become completely incorporated in the mixture before adding the next.
- Add the finely ground sugar-spice mixture and grated ginger.
- Sift the flour and baking powder and add it to the mixture in batches, alternating between flour and milk. Beginning and ending with the flour. Beat on medium speed until all of the flour is completely combined. Beat 2-3 turns on high speed. You do not want to beat the batter too much so the cake will turn out as light and fluffy as possible.
- Grease and flour a cake pan. Transfer batter to cake pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes. To make sure it is done, insert a knife in the cake. If it comes out clean and dry it is ready.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool a bit. Remove from cake pan and place on a serving platter.
For the spiced lemon sauce:
- Combine the water, milk, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, cardamom pods and coriander seeds in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Bring mixture to a boil and boil for 2-3 minutes. The mixture may curdle because of the lemon juice but don’t let that bother you.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in 2 spoonfuls of milk and add it to the pot. Cook for 1-2 more minutes, until the sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat and discard cardamom pods and coriander seeds. Add the glucose and stir to combine. Set aside to cool a little.
- Pour sauce over cake.
- Sprinkle with almond slivers or ground pistachio nuts.