For the cake
- Preheat oven to 140* C (280* F) Fan. (Not any higher or else the red color will fade.)
- In a mixer’s bowl, beat the butter and sugar for about 5 minutes using the whisk attachment, until fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, until completely incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, add the flour, baking soda and salt. Mix with a spoon and add to the mixer.
- In a small bowl, add the yogurt, vanilla extract, vinegar and food coloring. Mix together and add to the mixer.
- Beat for 1-2 minutes until all of the ingredients are completely combined.
- Line a 30x40 cm baking pan with parchment paper and grease with butter.
- Add the mixture, spread it in the pan and smooth the surface.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
For the cream cheese frosting
- Cut the butter into small pieces and add them to a mixer’s bowl along with the icing sugar and vanilla extract. Beat with the paddle attachment for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the cream cheese and beat again for 2-3 minutes, until completely incorporated.
- When the butter dissolves completely and the frosting turns white, remove bowl from stand and refrigerate so it can remain thick and stiff.
For buttercream frosting
- Cut the butter into small pieces and add them to a mixer’s bowl along with the icing sugar and vanilla extract.
- Beat on high speed with the paddle attachment, until fluffy.
- When ready, divide into two small bowls.
- Add red food coloring to one bowl and mix until the color is evenly distributed and you have a red mixture.
- Cut a sheet of parchment paper into 3 equal sized pieces and place them on a serving platter creating a triangle.
- Place a plate on the one edge of the cake. (Ideally the cake should reach all the way to the center of the cake. It should be about 18 cm in diameter.)
- Cut around the plate to create a round piece of cake.
- Repeat the same process to create a second round piece of cake.
- Τhe third piece of cake will be made out of 2 half pieces that will be put together to make a round piece.
- You should now have 3 round pieces of cake to make 3 layers.
- Place the first layer of cake on the serving platter.
- Add some of the cream cheese frosting and spread it over the whole surface with a spatula.
- Cover with the second layer of cake and repeat the same process.
- Cover with the third layer of cake and spread the remaining cream cheese frosting over it.
- Refrigerate for 4-5 hours so your ultimate velvet cake can chill and “stiffen”.
- Using a spoon, add the white buttercream frosting and place it in 3 separate places at the base of the cake.
- In the same manner, add the red buttercream frosting, placing it over the white buttercream frosting, in 3 places.
- Use a spatula to spread all of the buttercream frosting all over the cake.
- Sprinkle with the leftover pieces of cake.