Photo credit: G. Drakopoulos - Food Styling: T. Webb
For the cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 180* C (350* F) Fan.
- Combine the sugar and butter together in a bowl with a hand whisk, until the mixture becomes fluffy and creamy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, waiting until each egg has been completely incorporated in the mixture before adding the next one. Scrape down the sides of the bowl when necessary.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl and mix. Add the milk and vanilla extract and mix until a smooth batter forms. Use a spoon or a piping bag to fill the cupcake pan slots ¾ of the way.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, making sure the oven rack is placed in the middle of the oven.
For the candied flowers
- Add the egg white, lightly beaten with some water to a bowl. Add a generous amount of sugar to another bowl. Brush the flowers with some egg wash with a paint brush. Dip into sugar to coat.
- Spread apart on a wire rack to dry, overnight.
For the glaze
- Combine the icing sugar with some lemon juice.
- Spread over tops of cupcakes.
- Decorate with candied flowers.