Photo credit: G. Drakopoulos - Food Styling: T. Webb
- Preheat oven to 175* (347* F) Fan.
- Grease and flour a 26 cm cake pan.
- Whisk the butter with the sugar in a bowl for at least 5 minutes, until it becomes fluffy and doubles in volume.
- Add the eggs, one at a time. Then add the orange zest while stirring continuously.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, add the orange juice, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Combine both of these mixtures in a mixer’s bowl, alternating between the two, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Add the chocolate drops tossed with 1 tablespoon flour and mix.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until you insert a knife into the cake and it comes out clean.
- When ready, remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
For the syrup
- Place a small saucepan over medium to low heat.
- Add the sugar with the orange juice. Heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Remove from heat and pour the syrup over the lukewarm cake.
- Let the cake cool completely.
For the ganache
- Place a bowl over a small pot full of water that is simmering over medium heat.
- Add the chocolate, heavy cream and coffee to the bowl.
- Stir until the mixture gradually melts and becomes smooth.
- Pour over cake and serve.