- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 chicken drumsticks, skin on
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 150 g dried chickpeas, soaked in water overnight and boiled in a generous amount of water
- 2 teaspoons harissa
- 50 ml ouzo
- ½ cup chicken stock or 1 chicken bouillon cube diluted in 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 cup water
- ¼ cup fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped
- lemon wedges, for serving, optional
Chicken and Chickpea Stew with tomato sauce
Αdd to my “Recipe Book”
Need to login
- Preheat oven to 220* C (390* F) Fan.
- Place the chicken in a bowl. Spread olive oil all over and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat some oil in an ovenproof pan (no plastic handles) over medium to high heat.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Brown the chicken in the pan in batches, for about 5 minutes on each side. As soon as it browns nicely, transfer to a platter.
- Remove all the juices from the pan.
- Add the onion and garlic. Sauté for about 3 minutes and stir until it softens, stirring often.
- Add the chicken, a good pinch of sugar, ouzo and tomato paste.
- Cook while stirring for about 1 minute, until its color darkens.
- Add the chickpeas, harissa and stock.
- Add 1 1/2 cup water and simmer over low heat.
- Adjust the chicken in the pan to face skin side up and transfer pan to oven.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- When ready, sprinkle with parsley and serve with lemon wedges. .
Nutrition information per portion
Shows how much energy food releases to our bodies. Daily caloric intake depends mainly on the person’s weight, sex and physical activity level. An average individual needs about 2000 kcal / day.
Are essential to give energy to the body while helping to maintain the body temperature. They are divided into saturated "bad" fats and unsaturated "good" fats.
Known as "bad" fats are mainly found in animal foods. It is important to check and control on a daily basis the amount you consume.
The main source of energy for the body. Great sources are the bread, cereals and pasta. Use complex carbohydrates as they make you feel satiated while they have higher nutritional value.
Try to consume sugars from raw foods and limit processed sugar. It is important to check the labels of the products you buy so you can calculate how much you consume daily.
It is necessary for the muscle growth and helps the cells to function well. You can find it in meat, fish, dairy, eggs, pulses, nuts and seeds.
They are mainly found in plant foods and they can help regulate a good bowel movement while maintaining a balanced weight. Aim for at least 25 grams of fiber daily.
A small amount of salt daily is necessary for the body. Be careful though not to overdo it and not to exceed 6 grams of salt daily
*Based on an adult’s daily reference intake of 2000 kcal.
*To calculate nutritional table data, we use software by