- 1 whole large chicken, cut into pieces
- 3 onions, cut into slices
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 500 ml red wine
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cinnamon sticks, whole
- 6 cloves, whole
- 6 pieces all-spice
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 package bucatini pasta (thick spaghetti-like pasta with a hole in the center)
- olive oil
- grated gruyere cheese, to serve
Greek Corfu Chicken and Pasta – Pastitsada
Αdd to my “Recipe Book”
Need to login
This dish is called “Pastitsada” and is one of Corfu’s more characteristic recipes. They sell the special spice mixture needed to create this dish in pharmacies in town. Of course each housewife has her own secret ingredients. You can try adding some ground cumin seeds and even some curry powder, which was brought to the island by British sea men while the island was under siege by England.
- The chicken should be prepared the 1 day ahead so it can marinate overnight.
- Place the chicken in a bowl. Add 1 cinnamon stick, 3 cloves and 3 pieces of all-spice.
- Pour in enough wine to cover the chicken. Allow it to marinate overnight.
- The following day, drain the chicken and reserve the wine in a separate bowl. Discard the spices.
- In a large bowl, combine 4-5 tablespoons of flour, 1 teaspoon of salt and freshly ground pepper. Dry off the chicken from the wine with paper towels. It needs to be as dry as possible so it can brown nicely and not soak too much of the flour.
- Add the pieces of chicken to the bowl in batches. Shake bowl to coat. Transfer to a large sieve. Shake to remove excess flour. Make sure the pieces of chicken are completely coated.
- Place a large, deep pan over high heat. When it gets very hot, add the oil. Add the chicken in batches and brown nicely on all sides.
- When ready, remove from pan and keep warm in a plate.
- In the same pan, add some olive oil and sauté the onions and garlic. When softened and golden, add the tomato paste and sauté for another minute while stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Add the wine. Allow it to reduce and add the can of chopped tomatoes. Add the chicken and add enough water to cover the pieces halfway, if necessary. Add 1 cinnamon stick, 3 cloves and 3 pieces of all-spice, bay leaf and bouillon cube.
- Cover and bring to a boil. When it does, lower heat and allow it to simmer for 1 hour or until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened a bit.
- Since the chicken was coated in flour, the sauce might need to be stirred every now and then so that it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan. Make sure it is not cooking over high heat.
- Boil the pasta in a pot. They will be easier to eat if you cut them into 2 or 3 pieces before boiling. Serve the pasta in a large serving platter. Add the pieces of chicken and sauce over the pasta. Sprinkle with a generous amount of grated gruyere cheese.
Nutrition information per 100 gr.
Shows how much energy food releases to our bodies. Daily caloric intake depends mainly on the person’s weight, sex and physical activity level. An average individual needs about 2000 kcal / day.
Are essential to give energy to the body while helping to maintain the body temperature. They are divided into saturated "bad" fats and unsaturated "good" fats.
Known as "bad" fats are mainly found in animal foods. It is important to check and control on a daily basis the amount you consume.
The main source of energy for the body. Great sources are the bread, cereals and pasta. Use complex carbohydrates as they make you feel satiated while they have higher nutritional value.
Try to consume sugars from raw foods and limit processed sugar. It is important to check the labels of the products you buy so you can calculate how much you consume daily.
It is necessary for the muscle growth and helps the cells to function well. You can find it in meat, fish, dairy, eggs, pulses, nuts and seeds.
They are mainly found in plant foods and they can help regulate a good bowel movement while maintaining a balanced weight. Aim for at least 25 grams of fiber daily.
A small amount of salt daily is necessary for the body. Be careful though not to overdo it and not to exceed 6 grams of salt daily
*Based on an adult’s daily reference intake of 2000 kcal.
*To calculate nutritional table data, we use software by