For the caramelized onions
- Place a pan over high heat and let it get hot.
- Add some olive oil and the chopped onions.
- Begin sautéing and add the sugar and balsamic vinegar to help them caramelize more.
- Stir every so often until they are perfectly caramelized. The process should take about 4-5 minutes.
- When ready, remove from heat and set aside until needed.
For the burgers
The biggest secret to making perfect burgers is in the meat. First, it has to be very fresh and second, the less the meat is pressed, squeezed and handled, the softer and juicier your burgers will turn out! When buying the meat, ask your butcher to put it through the grinder twice, without pressing it or squeezing it any way as it is coming out of the grinder. They should GENTLY and loosely wrap it in wrapping paper instead of cellophane! Do not wrap tightly.
The rest is up to you!
- Prepare the bacon in another pan. Cook over low heat until crunchy.
- Divide the meat in to 4 equal parts and VERY, very gently mold it in to patties, using little to almost no pressure as possible. Do not season.
- This helps them become as soft and juicy as possible. The more you press or squeeze the meat, the tougher and drier it will turn out!
- Now you can season the meat with salt and pepper on both sides ….and that’s it!
- Use the same pan you prepared the bacon in, without wiping it clean. The juice from the bacon will make the burgers even tastier.
- Add them to the pan and very gently press on them with a spatula, just to flatten them a bit.
- Drizzle with some olive oil and cook according to your preference.
- When they are done on the first side, flip them over and add 1 ½ slices of cheddar and 1 ½ slices of bacon over each patty.
- When ready, remove from heat and set aside.
- Wipe down the pan with some paper towels. Add a small amount of olive oil and the hamburger buns. Gently press down on them with your hands and just heat through.
- Place the hamburger bun on a serving plate. Add a little mayonnaise and ketchup or bbq sauce. Then add the burger, tomato, caramelized onions, lettuce and fresh cucumber pickles.
- Serve with homemade fries.