For the yogurt ouzo sauce
- In a bowl, combine the yogurt, lemon zest, 1 tablespoon olive oil, mint, salt and pepper.
- Add the ouzo, mix and set aside.
- The yogurt has to be strained so that it can soak up the moisture of the rest of the ingredients.
For the meatballs
- In a bowl, add the water and the bread. Allow it to soak.
- Wring the bread with your hands to remove all of the water and place in another bowl.
- Add the ground pork, ground beef, eggs, parsley, oregano, garlic, onion, mint, cumin, ouzo, pepper, salt and 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Mix thoroughly until all of the ingredients are completely combined.
- It’s important to add enough salt at this time because you won’t be able to add more salt after frying.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Place a pan with sunflower oil over medium to high heat and let it get hot. You want to add enough sunflower oil so that it covers the meatballs while frying.
- Shape the mixture into 20 balls (20-25 g each) and dredge them in the flour.
- Tap to remove excess flour and add them to the hot oil in the pan in batches.
- Fry for 2-3 minutes until golden and mix every so often.
- When ready, remove from pan and transfer to paper towels so they can drain from excess oil.
- Serve with fries, yogurt ouzo sauce and mint leaves.