For the mashed potatoes
- Clean and peel the potatoes. Cut into 5 cm cubes.
- Fill a pot with a generous amount of salted water and place over medium to high heat.
- Add the potatoes and boil until they soften.
- When ready, drain and set aside in strainer, until all of the moisture has evaporated.
- Pass the potatoes through a sieve, using a scraper. You can also use a potato mill.
- Add the heavy cream and mix with a soft spatula until the mixture is creamy and smooth.
- Transfer to a large pan and mix with a wooden spoon for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the butter and mix for 2-3 minutes until it becomes even smoother and creamier.
- Season with salt and pepper.
For the caramelized onions
- Place a pan over medium to low heat.
- Add the onions, sugar and balsamic vinegar. Stir and begin to sauté.
- Add the butter, olive oil, water, salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, until they caramelize nicely.
- When ready, remove from heat and set aside until needed.
For the sausages
- Place a pan over medium heat.
- Add the country sausages and brown on all sides.
- When ready, add the caramelized onions and mix.
- Add the butter, flour, bouillon cube and water.
- Stir and simmer until the sauce has thickened in to a gravy.
- Create a delicious dish by serving the mashed potatoes topped with country sausages, caramelized onions and a delicious gravy!