- 2,5 kilos beef, silverside or rump, for roasting
- 500 g red wine
- 100 g vinegar, red wine
- 3 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 10 cloves, whole
- 8 pepper corns
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 sprig(s) thyme
- 2 sprig(s) parsley
- 4 tablespoon(s) butter
- 4 slices bacon, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoon(s) all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon(s) granulated sugar
- 50 g raisins
- juice, of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoon(s) parsley, finely chopped
Roast Beef with Gravy
Egg Free Diet
It is usually followed when someone is allergic to this food.
Nuts Free Diet
It is usually followed when someone is allergic to nuts.
Αdd to my “Recipe Book”
Need to login
Photo credit: G. Drakopoulos - Food Styling: T. Webb
- Place the meat in a large bowl. Generously season with salt.
- Fill a large pot with 1 liter water. Add the wine, vinegar, 1 onion, carrot, bay leaves, whole cloves, whole peppercorns, thyme and parsley. Bring to a boil.
- Pour over the meat. Let it marinate in the refrigerator for 5 days. Turn it over twice a day so it can marinate evenly.
- Remove from marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Reserve marinade and vegetables. Pass the marinade through a sieve and reserve 5 cups of it.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a deep, large frying pan. Add the bacon and cook until it releases its fat and becomes crunchy.
- Remove from frying pan with a slotted spoon. Add the beef to the butter and bacon fat and brown on all sides. Remove from pan and transfer to a baking pan.
- Preheat oven to 160* C (320*F) Fan.
- Add the remaining onions to the pan. Sauté until caramelized, over low heat.
- Add the caramelized onions, 5 cups of reserved marinade and vegetables to the baking pan. Cover the meat with parchment paper and aluminum foil.
- Roast for 2 ½ hours.
- Remove from oven and pass the sauce through a sieve and into a bowl. Set aside.
- Allow the meat to cool wrapped in aluminum foil.
- Add the remaining butter to a saucepan and melt it over medium heat. Add the butter and sugar. Beat continuously with a hand whisk, until the mixture turns a light golden.
- Add the sauce that we set aside, the lemon juice and raisins.
- Cook until the gravy thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Slice the meat and serve with the gravy, bacon and finely chopped parsley.
Nutrition information per portion
Shows how much energy food releases to our bodies. Daily caloric intake depends mainly on the person’s weight, sex and physical activity level. An average individual needs about 2000 kcal / day.
Are essential to give energy to the body while helping to maintain the body temperature. They are divided into saturated "bad" fats and unsaturated "good" fats.
Known as "bad" fats are mainly found in animal foods. It is important to check and control on a daily basis the amount you consume.
The main source of energy for the body. Great sources are the bread, cereals and pasta. Use complex carbohydrates as they make you feel satiated while they have higher nutritional value.
Try to consume sugars from raw foods and limit processed sugar. It is important to check the labels of the products you buy so you can calculate how much you consume daily.
It is necessary for the muscle growth and helps the cells to function well. You can find it in meat, fish, dairy, eggs, pulses, nuts and seeds.
They are mainly found in plant foods and they can help regulate a good bowel movement while maintaining a balanced weight. Aim for at least 25 grams of fiber daily.
A small amount of salt daily is necessary for the body. Be careful though not to overdo it and not to exceed 6 grams of salt daily
*Based on an adult’s daily reference intake of 2000 kcal.
*To calculate nutritional table data, we use software by