- 1 pork tenderloin 400 g
- 1 medium onion
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 3 sprigs oregano
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed whole
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 + 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 4 pita bread
- tzatziki sauce
Greek pork gyro with tzatziki sauce
Egg Free Diet
It is usually followed when someone is allergic to this food.
Nuts Free Diet
It is usually followed when someone is allergic to nuts.
Low in Sugars Diet
Limits all sources of added sugars and encourages the reduction of high-carbohydrate (high glycemic index) foods. A claim that a food can be classified as LS can be made when it contains less than 5 gr of sugars per 100 gr of solid food or 2.5 gr of sugars per 100 ml of liquid food.
Αdd to my “Recipe Book”
Need to login
Photo credit: G. Drakopoulos - Food Styling: T. Webb
- Remove the white membrane covering the top side of the meat with a sharp knife. It is very important to remove this membrane because no matter how long you cook it, it will always be tough.
- Cut the meat into equal, thin slanted slices that are 0.5 cm thick.
- Transfer meat to a deep pan.
- Thinly slice an onion and add it to the pan.
- Discard the stems and finely chop the fresh herbs and add them to the pan.
- Add the olive oil, 5 tablespoons vinegar, salt, pepper and honey. Mix with a wooden spoon to coat. (Do not add more honey because it will give too much color to the meat when it is cooking and it will look burned when it won’t be. Also, when you add the marinade to the meat, you will notice that it will start to turn white. This is because of the vinegar so don’t let it worry you.)
- Refrigerate and allow the meat to marinate for 6 hours or overnight.
- Let a non-stick pan get very hot over high heat, to the point where it is smoking. When it is hot enough, add 2 tablespoons olive oil and add the meat in 3 batches. If you overcrowd the pan, the temperature in the pan will drop and the meat will boil instead of brown nicely.
- As soon as it has browned on one side, turn over and brown on the other side.
- When ready, add 1 tablespoon vinegar and stir. Remove from pan and continue with the next batch.
- Serve with toasted Greek pita bread and tzatziki sauce. Or you can create your own personal favorite! Place the gyro on the pita bread and add tomatoes, lettuce, potatoes, tzatziki sauce or any other combination of toppings you like!
The secret is to marinade the meat properly! The vinegar added at the end gives the gyro a very authentic and characteristic flavor so don't skip it!
Nutrition information per portion
Shows how much energy food releases to our bodies. Daily caloric intake depends mainly on the person’s weight, sex and physical activity level. An average individual needs about 2000 kcal / day.
Are essential to give energy to the body while helping to maintain the body temperature. They are divided into saturated "bad" fats and unsaturated "good" fats.
Known as "bad" fats are mainly found in animal foods. It is important to check and control on a daily basis the amount you consume.
The main source of energy for the body. Great sources are the bread, cereals and pasta. Use complex carbohydrates as they make you feel satiated while they have higher nutritional value.
Try to consume sugars from raw foods and limit processed sugar. It is important to check the labels of the products you buy so you can calculate how much you consume daily.
It is necessary for the muscle growth and helps the cells to function well. You can find it in meat, fish, dairy, eggs, pulses, nuts and seeds.
They are mainly found in plant foods and they can help regulate a good bowel movement while maintaining a balanced weight. Aim for at least 25 grams of fiber daily.
A small amount of salt daily is necessary for the body. Be careful though not to overdo it and not to exceed 6 grams of salt daily
*Based on an adult’s daily reference intake of 2000 kcal.
*The nutritional chart and the symbols refer to the basic recipe and not to the serving suggestions.
*To calculate nutritional table data, we use software by