A classic French dish with many interpretations. I “copied” the one from the pixar movie. It is obviously a recipe that requires tender love and time to prepare. It is a great way to inspire your kids to get involved with the cooking and also eat the vegetables (just make sure they watch the movie the day before).
- Roast your peppers. Put them in the grill for about 10-15 minutes until they “burn”. Ideally you should “burn” them over fire if you have a gas hob or a barbecue. This will bring up a nice smokey flavour.
- Put them in a bowl and cover with cling film (this will help you peel them) and leave aside.
- While you wait for your pepper to roast, start slicing your aubergines, courgettes and tomatoes using either a mandolin or a sharp knife. You want them to be really thin and even. Whatever bits you have left over or are not symmetrical just use them for your sauce.
For the sauce
- Gently frying your onions, celery, carrots and garlic in 2 tbsp olive oil.
- Once they become soft, add your peppers which you have peeled and roughly chopper and the leftovers of your assembly ingredients.
- Finally add in your pasata, the chopped tomatoes and a small glass of water. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Allow it to simmer for 10-15 minutes until all the ingredients are combined.
- Put you sauce into a blender and turn it into a smooth thick paste. Pour it into a tray. The sauce should be around 2 cm deep.
- Add our sliced vegetables. Alternate the aubergines, courgettes and tomatoes. Continue the process until you have covered your whole tray. Try and maintain it in a continuous pattern (Snake like).
- Season well with salt and pepper.
For the marinate.
- Place your garlic, olive oil and a bit of sea salt in a mortar and pestle and beat until the garlic is crushed.
- Add your herbs and continue beating until you have a green paste.
- Use a brush to cover your vegetables.
- Cover with foil and pop the tray in a preheated oven at 140 Celsius for 2 and half hours.
- Remove the foil increase the oven temperature to 180 Celsius and bake for another 30 minutes.