- 500 g chickpeas (soaked in water overnight)
- plenty of olive oil
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 2 large onions (cut into rings)
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 250 g spicy sausage (cut into small pieces)
- 500 g fresh spinach (washed and thick stems removed)
- 1 bay leaf
- some rosemary
Chickpea, Spicy Sausage and Spinach Jambalaya
Αdd to my “Recipe Book”
Need to login
Photo credit: G. Drakopoulos - Food Styling: T. Webb
This recipe is so tasty, it will be easy to “trick” everyone into eating their chickpeas and spinach!!
- Boil the chickpeas for about 1 ½ hours, or until cooked but firm.
- Drain, but reserve a cup of their broth. In the same pot, pour a little olive oil and let it heat very well. Add the onions and sauté until soft but not golden (about 7 minutes).
- Add the garlic and sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomato and sauté, also.
- Add the sausages and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the chickpeas and mix to combine.
- Add the bay leaf and some rosemary.
- Pour in the chickpea broth that was reserved and ½ to 1 cup water.
- Mix in half of the spinach until it softens and immediately add the remaining spinach.
- Simmer for 10 minutes. Season to taste and serve.
If you don’t have enough time to soak the chickpeas overnight, they will still cook nicely, you just need to be a little patient and boil them a little longer!
Nutrition information per portion
Shows how much energy food releases to our bodies. Daily caloric intake depends mainly on the person’s weight, sex and physical activity level. An average individual needs about 2000 kcal / day.
Are essential to give energy to the body while helping to maintain the body temperature. They are divided into saturated "bad" fats and unsaturated "good" fats.
Known as "bad" fats are mainly found in animal foods. It is important to check and control on a daily basis the amount you consume.
The main source of energy for the body. Great sources are the bread, cereals and pasta. Use complex carbohydrates as they make you feel satiated while they have higher nutritional value.
Try to consume sugars from raw foods and limit processed sugar. It is important to check the labels of the products you buy so you can calculate how much you consume daily.
It is necessary for the muscle growth and helps the cells to function well. You can find it in meat, fish, dairy, eggs, pulses, nuts and seeds.
They are mainly found in plant foods and they can help regulate a good bowel movement while maintaining a balanced weight. Aim for at least 25 grams of fiber daily.
A small amount of salt daily is necessary for the body. Be careful though not to overdo it and not to exceed 6 grams of salt daily
*Based on an adult’s daily reference intake of 2000 kcal.
*To calculate nutritional table data, we use software by