A meatier version of lentil soup!
For the pork shank
- Rinse the pork shank under running water. Place it in a pot with enough water to cover it. Add all of the remaining ingredients and boil for 3 hours. The meat will become so soft and tender that it will fall apart.
- Let it cool in the broth.
For the lentils
- Place the lentils in a pot with water. Bring them to a boil, drain the water and set them aside in a bowl. Lentils turn out better when you do this first. You will cook them further in the recipe.
- Melt the butter in a pot. Add the vegetables and sauté them over low heat.
- Add the lentils, 1 liter of the pork shank broth and the aromatics. Boil for ½ an hour, until the lentils are done.
- When they are almost ready, add the salt and remove the fat and the bones from the pork shank. Tear up the meat into smaller pieces with your hands.
- Stir to combine the lentils with the meat and add as much more broth to make the consistency of the soup as you like.
- Serve in bowls and sprinkle with finely chopped parsley.