Photo credit: G. Drakopoulos - Food Styling: T. Webb
For the sourdough
- Combine all of the ingredients together in a bowl, using a wooden spoon.
- Let the dough rest for ½ an hour, until it doubles in size.
For the dough
- Knead all of the ingredients in a mixer. Use the hook attachment and beat until the dough becomes soft and elastic and draws back from the sides of the bowl.
- Add the extra ingredients to the kneaded dough, very slowly. A soon as everything is completely combined, cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Set the dough aside to rest for 1 hour in a warm place.
- Divide the dough into 100 g balls. Set aside to rest again, for 20 minutes.
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper. Transfer half of the balls of dough to the baking pan. Use a sharp knife and cut the tops of the buns into 5 segments, starting from the edges and moving towards the center. You want to create a star shaped bun.
- Repeat process with the second baking pan.
- Cover both baking pans with plastic wrap and allow to rest for 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 160* C (320* F) Fan.
- Bake until the interior temperature of the buns reaches about 100* C (212* F) and they turn golden. This should take about 12-14 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar.