We would like to thank our member Gianni Papoutsi for this wonderful recipe.
For the yeast mixture:
- Combine all of the ingredients for the yeast mixture in a bowl. Let it rest and rise for 20-30 minutes, at room temperature.
For the mastic:
- Beat the mastic drops in a blender along with 1 tablespoon sugar, until finely ground.
For the dough:
- Beat the vegetable oil, orange juice and sugar in a mixer, until the sugar melts.
- Add the orange zest, mahlab, ground mastic, vanilla and some salt. Stir just to combine.
- Add half the flour and the yeast mixture that has risen. Knead.
- Add the remaining flour and knead until it absorbs it all and you create a soft and elastic dough.
- Cover the dough for 1-1 ½ hours to let it rise.
- Shape the sweetbread into braids and place them on a baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Cover and allow them to rise for another 30 minutes, at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 180* C (350* F) Fan.
- In a small bowl, combine the honey with a small amount of water and brush over sweetbreads. Sprinkle with some almonds.
- Bake for 35 minutes.