- 2-3 large onions
- 8 tablespoons olive oil (4 tablespoons are for sautéing the orzo)
- 2 carrots
- 1 leek
- 1200 g beef leg, boneless, cut into 2 cm cubes
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 150 g red wine
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 250+750 ml water
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- pepper + extra for serving
- 250 g orzo, medium sized
- fresh thyme
- parsley, finely chopped, for serving
- lemon zest, for serving
Greek beef and orzo casserole - Giouvetsi
Dairy Free Diet
Excludes foods such as milk, yoghurt, cheese and their by-products.
Nuts Free Diet
It is usually followed when someone is allergic to nuts.
Low in Sugars Diet
Limits all sources of added sugars and encourages the reduction of high-carbohydrate (high glycemic index) foods. A claim that a food can be classified as LS can be made when it contains less than 5 gr of sugars per 100 gr of solid food or 2.5 gr of sugars per 100 ml of liquid food.
Αdd to my “Recipe Book”
Need to login
- Preheat oven to 180* C (350* F) Fan.
- Finely chop the onions.
- Place a shallow pot over high heat and add 3 tablespoons olive oil.
- Add the onions and sauté until nicely caramelized.
- Quarter the carrots and chop them in to cubes.
- Add them to the pot.
- Coarsely chop the leek and add to the pot.
- Stir and sauté for about 5 minutes, until they caramelize nicely. Add a little more olive oil, if necessary.
- When ready, transfer to a bowl and set aside until needed.
- Place pot back on heat and let it get very hot.
- Add 2 tablespoons olive oil and the cubes of meat. Brown for 4-5 minute.
- Add the sautéed vegetables, cinnamon sticks, bay leaves, cumin and tomato paste. Sauté the tomato paste for 1-2 minutes to help remove its bitterness. This also helps to thicken the sauce.
- Add the wine and let it evaporate.
- Add the honey, 250 ml water and the can of chopped tomatoes and stir.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Lower heat to low and simmer for 1 ½ hours, until the meat is very soft and the sauce has thickened. If your sauce is too thick, add a little more water.
- When ready, transfer to an oven proof dish.
- Place a pot over medium to high heat.
- Add 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil and the orzo.
- Sauté the orzo for 3-4 minutes, until golden.
- When ready, add it over the meat in the oven proof dish.
- Add 750 ml water, and fresh thyme. You can add any of your favorite herbs also.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for another 15 minutes.
- When ready, remove from oven. Sprinkle with finely chopped parsley, lemon zest and some freshly ground pepper.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutrition information per portion
Shows how much energy food releases to our bodies. Daily caloric intake depends mainly on the person’s weight, sex and physical activity level. An average individual needs about 2000 kcal / day.
Are essential to give energy to the body while helping to maintain the body temperature. They are divided into saturated "bad" fats and unsaturated "good" fats.
Known as "bad" fats are mainly found in animal foods. It is important to check and control on a daily basis the amount you consume.
The main source of energy for the body. Great sources are the bread, cereals and pasta. Use complex carbohydrates as they make you feel satiated while they have higher nutritional value.
Try to consume sugars from raw foods and limit processed sugar. It is important to check the labels of the products you buy so you can calculate how much you consume daily.
It is necessary for the muscle growth and helps the cells to function well. You can find it in meat, fish, dairy, eggs, pulses, nuts and seeds.
They are mainly found in plant foods and they can help regulate a good bowel movement while maintaining a balanced weight. Aim for at least 25 grams of fiber daily.
A small amount of salt daily is necessary for the body. Be careful though not to overdo it and not to exceed 6 grams of salt daily
*Based on an adult’s daily reference intake of 2000 kcal.
*The nutritional chart and the symbols refer to the basic recipe and not to the serving suggestions.
*To calculate nutritional table data, we use software by