- 50 g olive oil
- 1 onion, medium white, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoon(s) garlic, thinly sliced
- thyme, fresh
- 250 g glutinous rice
- 150 ml white wine
- 1 liter water
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 400 g spinach, frozen
- juice, of 2 lemons
- zest, of 2 lemons
- 80 g butter
- 3 tablespoon(s) dill, finely chopped
- 1 spring onion, coarsely chopped
- 100 g feta cheese, to serve (optional)
- 4 eggs, to serve (optional)
Greek Spinach Rice - Spanakorizo
Diet based on cereals, pulses, nuts, seeds, vegetables, fruits and other animal foods such as honey and eggs. Excludes meat, fish, mollusks.
Nuts Free Diet
It is usually followed when someone is allergic to nuts.
Αdd to my “Recipe Book”
Need to login
- Place a pot over high heat and let it get very hot.
- Add 50 ml of olive oil and the coarsely chopped onion.
- Peel the 2 cloves of garlic, thinly slice them and add them to the pan.
- Add some thyme and mix.
- As soon as the onion caramelizes, add the rice.
- Stir and sauté the rice until it turns golden.
- Add the wine and let it evaporate.
- Then, add the water and bouillon cube.
- Lower heat to medium and cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring every 2-3 minutes so that it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot.
- In a bowl, add the spinach and a generous amount of salt.
- Rub them between your hands.
- Don’t add them to the pot immediately. Squeeze them with your hands or in a towel to release most of their moisture or else the whole mixture will turn green.
- Add the spinach to the pot in batches, keeping it over a medium to low heat.
- Stir thoroughly.
- Add the lemon zest and lemon juice and stir.
- Taste it and adjust seasoning and lemon to suit your liking.
- At this point, if you serve immediately, you don’t need to add any extra moisture. But if you serve the dish later on or the next day, add a little water when warming it up.
- Remove from heat and add the butter.
- Stir until the mixture becomes thick and creamy.
- Add the dill and spring onion (only the white part) and stir.
- Serve the spinach rice with lemon slices and some crumbled feta.
- Place the pot back on heat and crack 4 eggs over the mixture.
- Cover pot and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- This will be spinach rice with poached eggs.
Nutrition information per portion
Shows how much energy food releases to our bodies. Daily caloric intake depends mainly on the person’s weight, sex and physical activity level. An average individual needs about 2000 kcal / day.
Are essential to give energy to the body while helping to maintain the body temperature. They are divided into saturated "bad" fats and unsaturated "good" fats.
Known as "bad" fats are mainly found in animal foods. It is important to check and control on a daily basis the amount you consume.
The main source of energy for the body. Great sources are the bread, cereals and pasta. Use complex carbohydrates as they make you feel satiated while they have higher nutritional value.
Try to consume sugars from raw foods and limit processed sugar. It is important to check the labels of the products you buy so you can calculate how much you consume daily.
It is necessary for the muscle growth and helps the cells to function well. You can find it in meat, fish, dairy, eggs, pulses, nuts and seeds.
They are mainly found in plant foods and they can help regulate a good bowel movement while maintaining a balanced weight. Aim for at least 25 grams of fiber daily.
A small amount of salt daily is necessary for the body. Be careful though not to overdo it and not to exceed 6 grams of salt daily
*Based on an adult’s daily reference intake of 2000 kcal.
*The nutritional chart and the symbols refer to the basic recipe and not to the serving suggestions.
*To calculate nutritional table data, we use software by