Taro are tropical fruit grown mainly for their edible roots. They are mainly grown in the islands of the Pacific, in Asia and Western Africa. Taro is also grown is Cyprus. Its edible corm, which a rich in starch, proteins and vitamins and grow underground. Corms are cylindrical with a slightly cyclical or pointy edge.
For the taro puree
- Peel the taro. Slice off the edges with a knife, cut it in half and remove the skin. Rinse with plenty of water to remove all of the dirt. It is better to choose a ripe taro, but not over-ripe, because it will have a bitter taste.
- Cut the taro into small 1cm cubes.
- In a pot, add the water, cubes and milk. Place over medium to high heat. Cover with the lid and boil for 20 minutes until softened.
- If no lid is available, us parchment paper.
- Cut a piece of parchment paper, larger than the diameter of the pot.
- Double-fold the parchment paper and then fold again the edges in order to form a conical shape.
- Measure the distance between the center of the pot and the height of its walls.
- Using a scissor, cut the point that touches the pot and 2 cm from the edge of the parchment paper.
- Unfold and cover the pot so that is touches the surface of the food.
- Remove from heat and uncover.
- Drain and place in the food processor. Add the butter, honey, salt and pepper.
- Beat until incorporated and turns into a puree.
For the burgers
- Preheat oven over 180ο C (356* F) set to Fan.
- In a bowl, add the beans and mash them up with a fork.
- Add the quinoa, corn, cumin, pumpkin puree, chili flakes, lemon zest, lemon juice, oatmeal and baking powder.
- Finely chop the garlic and the onion in small 0,5 cm pieces and add them to the bowl. Add salt, pepper, coriander, olive oil and mix until incorporated.
- Shape the mixture into 6 burgers. Place them on a baking pan, lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 40 minutes. At 20 minutes, turn them over so that they are evenly cooked.
- Place the puree on a serving plate.
- Spread the rocket and sprinkle with olive oil.
- Place the burgers over the rocket and serve.