- 4 medium potatoes, peeled
- 250 g white mushrooms
- 2 medium onions
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided in half
- ½ teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- various dry herbs (thyme, oregano etc.) 2 teaspoons in total
- 200 g grated cheese
- 2 slices of smoked ham
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup milk
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
Potatoes Au Gratin
1 hour 30 minutes
Αdd to my “Recipe Book”
Need to login
Thank you Vaso Faletta for this wonderful recipe!!
- Chop the potatoes into 1 cm slices. Put them in a pot along with 2 cups boiling water and the bouillon cube. Cover pot with lid and boil for 10 minutes.
- Remove the potatoes from the pot and reserve the broth for the béchamel sauce. We need 2 cups of the broth. If more liquid is needed you can add water.
- Slice the onion into thin rounds. Sauté for 15-20 minutes in a pan along with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and ½ teaspoon of salt. When golden and caramelized, remove from pan.
- Use the same pan without wiping it down or washing it. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil, the mushrooms (cut into 4 pieces) and the herbs.
- Sauté for 8-10 minutes over high heat so that they lose most of their moisture. When ready, remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 180* C (350* F) Fan.
- Grease a 25x35 cm baking dish. Spread the potatoes, onions and mushrooms in a single layer.
- Cut the slices of ham into thin strips and spread on top. Sprinkle with ¾ of the grated cheese.
- Prepare a light béchamel sauce. In a bowl, whisk together the milk, flour, butter, egg, salt and pepper until combined.
- Add the broth and whisk until incorporated.
- Transfer to a pan. Simmer mixture while whisking continuously, until it thickens and takes on a smooth creamy texture.
- Pour the béchamel sauce into the baking dish. Sprinkle with some breadcrumbs and the remaining grated cheese.
- Bake for 40 minutes, until the top is golden brown.
Rate this recipe You need to login