For the kale
- Place a pan over medium heat along with the olive oil.
- Add the kale, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Sauté for 4 minutes, while continuously mixing until the kale becomes crunchy and its volume is reduced by half.
- Add the chili flakes, mix and transfer to a plate.
- To the same pan, add the slices of bread and toast until golden without adding any more oil.
For the poached eggs
There are 2 different ways to make poached eggs.
For the 1st way
- In a pot full of gently simmering water, add the 4 tablespoons of vinegar, peppercorns, bay leaf and salt.
- In a bowl, add the 5 tablespoons of white vinegar. Carefully crack the eggs and drop them in.
- Allow them to sit in the vinegar for 1-2 minutes, until a film is created over them (vinegar has the ability to keep the eggs separate and to create a film over them that helps them cook better).
- Using a hand whisk, begin gently stirring the simmering water creating a whirlpool in the center of the pot. Be careful not to stir too vigorously.
- Very carefully add the eggs, one at a time and let them cook for 3-4 minutes.
- When ready, remove the eggs with a slotted spoon and transfer to a bowl full of chilled water.
- When cool enough to handle, pick up each egg and use a pair of scissors to cut away any pieces of egg white that are hanging.
- Transfer eggs to a dish lined with paper towels and set aside to drain.
For the 2nd way
- Place a pot over heat, until it is gently simmering, as before.
- You will need 1 small ramekin for each egg.
- Place a piece of plastic wrap over each ramekin (3 small ceramic ramekins).
- Press the plastic wrap inward with your hands, until it touches the bottom and each ramekin is lined nicely.
- Add some olive oil, salt, pepper and thyme in each ramekin.
- Carefully crack 1 egg open in to each ramekin.
- Gently and carefully wrap each egg in the plastic wrap, creating small pouches for the eggs. Remove all of the air and tie a knot on each pouch to keep them securely wrapped while cooking.
- Tie each pouch on to the handle of a wooden spoon.
- Balance the wooden spoon on the edges of the pot.
- Make sure that the hanging pouches are completely submerged in the water.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- When ready, remove from pot and transfer to a bowl full of chilled water.
- Use a pair of scissors to cut the knots from the pouches and carefully remove the plastic wrap from around each egg.
- Repeat the same process for the rest of the eggs.
- Position the slices of bread on a serving plate. Add the kale, cherry tomatoes, spring onion, mint, poached eggs and last, crumble the feta cheese with your hands over it.
- Add a few drops of extra virgin olive oil and serve.