- 250 g beans, black eyed peas, dried
- 1/2 clove of garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 125 g basmati rice
- 1 round barley rusk
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 bunch mint
- 1/2 bunch parsley
- zest, of 2 limes
- juice, of 2 limes
- 5 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper
- 250 g feta cheese
- strained yogurt, optional, to serve
Black Eyed Peas and Rice Salad
Diet based on cereals, pulses, nuts, seeds, vegetables, fruits and other animal foods such as honey and eggs. Excludes meat, fish, mollusks.
Egg Free Diet
It is usually followed when someone is allergic to this food.
Nuts Free Diet
It is usually followed when someone is allergic to nuts.
Αdd to my “Recipe Book”
Need to login
- Soak the black eyed peas in a bowl with water and a good pinch of salt. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 6 hours.
- Boil the rice in a pot full of salted water for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.
- When the black eyed peas have swelled form soaking, drain. Add them to a pot along with 1 bay leaf and 1 clove of garlic but no salt. Boil for 15 minutes. When ready, drain and set aside to cool.
- Mash a clove of garlic with about 50 ml of olive oil, in a small blender or with a mortar and pestle.
- Transfer garlic-olive oil mixture to a large bowl.
- Add the onion, lime zest and lime juice.
- Remove the seeds from the red pepper and chop into small cubes. Finely chop the mint and parsley. Add them to the bowl and toss to coat.
- Break the round barley rusk into medium sized pieces and add to the salad. Drizzle with extra olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and mix well. Add the black eyed peas and rice (cold) and mix. Crumble the feta cheese over the top and mix gently.
- Serve with 1 tablespoon of yogurt to each serving (optional).
Nutrition information per portion
Shows how much energy food releases to our bodies. Daily caloric intake depends mainly on the person’s weight, sex and physical activity level. An average individual needs about 2000 kcal / day.
Are essential to give energy to the body while helping to maintain the body temperature. They are divided into saturated "bad" fats and unsaturated "good" fats.
Known as "bad" fats are mainly found in animal foods. It is important to check and control on a daily basis the amount you consume.
The main source of energy for the body. Great sources are the bread, cereals and pasta. Use complex carbohydrates as they make you feel satiated while they have higher nutritional value.
Try to consume sugars from raw foods and limit processed sugar. It is important to check the labels of the products you buy so you can calculate how much you consume daily.
It is necessary for the muscle growth and helps the cells to function well. You can find it in meat, fish, dairy, eggs, pulses, nuts and seeds.
They are mainly found in plant foods and they can help regulate a good bowel movement while maintaining a balanced weight. Aim for at least 25 grams of fiber daily.
A small amount of salt daily is necessary for the body. Be careful though not to overdo it and not to exceed 6 grams of salt daily
*Based on an adult’s daily reference intake of 2000 kcal.
*The nutritional chart and the symbols refer to the basic recipe and not to the serving suggestions.
*To calculate nutritional table data, we use software by