- 1 kilo medium sized eggplants
- 100 g Florini peppers, sweet red horned peppers
- 1 clove of garlic (4 g)
- 30 ml apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
- ½ bunch parsley
- 2 spring onions (50 g)
- 60 ml olive oil
- freshly ground pepper
Greek roasted eggplant dip - Melitzanosalata
Diet based on cereals, pulses, nuts, seeds, vegetables, fruits and other animal foods such as honey and eggs. Excludes meat, fish, mollusks.
Diet based on vegetables, legumes and green leaves. It excludes foods such as meat, fish, mollusks, dairy products, eggs, honey and their by-products.
Gluten Free Diet
Excludes foods containing gluten, such as wheat, barley, rye and their by-products.
Dairy Free Diet
Excludes foods such as milk, yoghurt, cheese and their by-products.
Egg Free Diet
It is usually followed when someone is allergic to this food.
Nuts Free Diet
It is usually followed when someone is allergic to nuts.
Low in Sugars Diet
Limits all sources of added sugars and encourages the reduction of high-carbohydrate (high glycemic index) foods. A claim that a food can be classified as LS can be made when it contains less than 5 gr of sugars per 100 gr of solid food or 2.5 gr of sugars per 100 ml of liquid food.
Αdd to my “Recipe Book”
Need to login
For the eggplants
- Pierce the eggplants all over with a fork.
- Place them directly over the flame on a gas stove, using high heat.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes, turning them until they are charred on all sides evenly.
- If you don’t have a gas stove, simply place them on the oven rack and cook for about 40 minutes in an 180* C preheated oven.
- When ready, pierce again with a fork. If they have softened, they are ready. Set them aside for 10 minutes to cool.
- Use a spoon to scoop out the flesh and transfer to a thin kitchen towel.
- Wrap it in the towel and squeeze to remove as much liquid from the eggplant flesh as possible. This liquid is very bitter and should be removed.
- Roughly chop the eggplant and set aside in a bowl.
For the red pepper
- Prepare the pepper in the same way as the eggplants. Cook directly over the flame for 10-15 minutes.
- Gently press on them to make sure it has softened.
- When ready, transfer to a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 15-20 minutes. The moisture created will help loosen the skin making it easier to remove.
- Use a knife to remove the skin from the red pepper.
- Cut in half, remove the seeds and dice in to 1 cm cubes.
- Add to the eggplants and set aside until needed.
To prepare the eggplant dip
- In a food processor, add the garlic, apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar and the olive oil.
- Beat until the garlic has completely broken down.
- Add it to the bowl with eggplant and pepper.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Thinly slice the green part of the spring onions and the parsley (only the leaves). Reserve some for serving and add to the bowl.
- Stir until all of the ingredients are completely combined and season to taste.
- To serve, garnish with spring onion, parsley and drizzle with some Greek extra virgin olive oil.
The longer you allow the eggplant dip to sit, the more the ingredients will blend and the tastier it will be!
Cooking the eggplants on a gas stove give them a nice, smoky flavor!
Nutrition information per portion
Shows how much energy food releases to our bodies. Daily caloric intake depends mainly on the person’s weight, sex and physical activity level. An average individual needs about 2000 kcal / day.
Are essential to give energy to the body while helping to maintain the body temperature. They are divided into saturated "bad" fats and unsaturated "good" fats.
Known as "bad" fats are mainly found in animal foods. It is important to check and control on a daily basis the amount you consume.
The main source of energy for the body. Great sources are the bread, cereals and pasta. Use complex carbohydrates as they make you feel satiated while they have higher nutritional value.
Try to consume sugars from raw foods and limit processed sugar. It is important to check the labels of the products you buy so you can calculate how much you consume daily.
It is necessary for the muscle growth and helps the cells to function well. You can find it in meat, fish, dairy, eggs, pulses, nuts and seeds.
They are mainly found in plant foods and they can help regulate a good bowel movement while maintaining a balanced weight. Aim for at least 25 grams of fiber daily.
A small amount of salt daily is necessary for the body. Be careful though not to overdo it and not to exceed 6 grams of salt daily
*Based on an adult’s daily reference intake of 2000 kcal.
*To calculate nutritional table data, we use software by