Romesco is a well-known, Catalan sauce. It is made from red peppers, almonds, bread and olive oil. Its sweetness blends perfectly with the tastes of chicken, spring onions, calamari and quail. It can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium to low heat.
- Toast the bread until it is crunchy and golden brown.
- Remove it from the pan and set aside to cool. Chop into small pieces and set aside.
- Sauté the onion with a pinch of salt and a little olive oil until it softens. Add the tomato and some water.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, until the sauce becomes sweet and starts to thicken.
- In the meantime, use a mortar and pestle to pulverize the garlic with a pinch of salt.
- Add the hazelnuts and almonds. Crush until the mixture resembles coarse sand.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl. Add the red pepper, sweet paprika, smoked paprika, tomato, chopped bread and continue to crush with the pestle until the peppers become completely incorporated within the mixture.
- Add the some white wine, red vinegar and a little cold water, until it becomes a thick sauce.
- If you don’t want your sauce to be so thick, add a little more water.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Check to see if any more wine or vinegar is needed.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.
- Serve Romesco sauce along with chicken and fresh rocket leaves.