- 1 kilo strained Greek yogurt (whole or low fat)
- 1 tablespoon salt
Homemade Soft Cheese
Diet based on cereals, pulses, nuts, seeds, vegetables, fruits and other animal foods such as honey and eggs. Excludes meat, fish, mollusks.
Gluten Free Diet
Excludes foods containing gluten, such as wheat, barley, rye and their by-products.
Egg Free Diet
It is usually followed when someone is allergic to this food.
Nuts Free Diet
It is usually followed when someone is allergic to nuts.
Αdd to my “Recipe Book”
Need to login
- Put the yogurt in a bowl. Add the salt and mix.
- Line the interior of another bowl with some cheesecloth. Let the ends hang over the edges of the bowl. Add the mixture.
- If you taste the mixture it will be very salty. This shouldn’t worry you because as the water drains, the salt will be carried away with it. The yogurt will hold on to exactly the right amount of salt.
- Pick up the four ends of the cheesecloth and tie securely with some kitchen twine. The yogurt should be like a ball covered in cheesecloth.
- Tie the two ends of the kitchen twine onto a wooden spoon. The spoon will help the cheesecloth with the yogurt hang securely, so that it can drain all of the excess water.
- Balance the wooden spoon on the rim of a large pot and let the yogurt in the cheesecloth hang in the pot so that it can drain.
- You should not squeeze the cheesecloth, under any circumstance. Refrigerate for 1-2 days and let it drain on its own (if you are not too impatient, it’s best to allow it to drain for 2 days).
- Remove pot from refrigerator and the cheesecloth from the pot. Cut and remove the twine and open the cheesecloth. The soft cheese is ready.
- Use it to make Cretan Dakos (Rusks with tomato,soft cheese and olive oil).
Can be stored in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or covered in oil, in a container, for a longer period of time.
Nutrition information per 100 gr.
Shows how much energy food releases to our bodies. Daily caloric intake depends mainly on the person’s weight, sex and physical activity level. An average individual needs about 2000 kcal / day.
Are essential to give energy to the body while helping to maintain the body temperature. They are divided into saturated "bad" fats and unsaturated "good" fats.
Known as "bad" fats are mainly found in animal foods. It is important to check and control on a daily basis the amount you consume.
The main source of energy for the body. Great sources are the bread, cereals and pasta. Use complex carbohydrates as they make you feel satiated while they have higher nutritional value.
Try to consume sugars from raw foods and limit processed sugar. It is important to check the labels of the products you buy so you can calculate how much you consume daily.
It is necessary for the muscle growth and helps the cells to function well. You can find it in meat, fish, dairy, eggs, pulses, nuts and seeds.
They are mainly found in plant foods and they can help regulate a good bowel movement while maintaining a balanced weight. Aim for at least 25 grams of fiber daily.
A small amount of salt daily is necessary for the body. Be careful though not to overdo it and not to exceed 6 grams of salt daily
*Based on an adult’s daily reference intake of 2000 kcal.
*To calculate nutritional table data, we use software by