For the chocolate syrup
- Combine the water, sugar and cocoa powder in a small saucepan.
- Place over high heat. As soon as it comes to a boil, remove from heat.
- Chop the dark chocolate couverture in to pieces and add it to the saucepan.
- Do not stir for 20-30 seconds so the chocolate can emulsify and then stir until incorporated.
- Set it aside to cool.
For the chocolate cake
- Preheat oven to 180* C (360*F) Fan.
- Grease a 25 x 30 cm baking pan with butter and set it aside until needed.
- In a mixer's bowl, add the eggs and sugar. Beat with the whisk attachment on high speed for 10-12 minutes, until it rises and becomes very light and fluffy.
- In another bowl, add the flour, semolina, baking powder and cocoa powder. Mix until completely combined.
- Remove the mixing bowl from the stand and add the vegetable oil, the orange zest and the flour mixture.
- Gently fold with a spatula, so that the mixture remains as fluffy as possible.
- Pour the batter in to the baking pan and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- When ready, remove from oven. Use a knife to poke a few holes in the cake and immediately pour the cool syrup over the cake.
- Set it aside for at least 20 minutes, until it completely cools.
For the chocolate ganache glaze
- To make the glaze, chop the chocolate couverture and put in a bowl along with the heavy cream.
- Cover with plastic wrap and melt it in the microwave for 1 ½ minutes at 800 watts.
- Remove and stir with a spatula, until the ingredients become completely incorporated and velvety smooth.
- Pour the glaze over the cake and smooth the surface with a spatula.