For the mashed potato mixture
- Place a pot over medium heat.
- Add the water, milk and bouillon cube.
- As soon as it comes to a boil, add the instant mashed potatoes and whisk for about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat, add the cheese and stir.
- Add the ham, chili flakes, pepper and thyme or any other herb you like.
- Stir until the mixture cools and the ingredients combine and the mixture thickens.
- Add the egg yolks and stir.
- Line a 10x30 cm baking pan with a sheet of plastic wrap and cover with another sheet.
- Refrigerate for 2-3 hours until it chills and becomes firm.
- When ready, turn it out of pan, remove plastic wrap and cut in to rectangular pieces.
For the coating
- You will need 3 separate bowls.
- To the first bowl, add the flour.
- To the second bowl, add the egg that has been diluted with water and whisked.
- To the third bowl, add the breadcrumbs.
- Dredge the pieces of the mashed potato mixture in the flour, then dip them in the egg and finally coat them in the breadcrumbs.
- Place a deep pan over medium heat. Add the sunflower oil and let it get hot enough for frying.
- Add the coated pieces to the hot oil in batches, without crowding your pan.
- Fry until crunchy and golden.
For the salad & dressing
- In a bowl, add all of the ingredients for the salad dressing apart from the olive oil.
- Add the olive oil slowly, whisking until the salad dressing thickens.
- Add the salt and sesame seeds.
- Chop up the lettuce and add it to the bowl. Toss just to coat.
- Serve the
- Serve the ham and cheese croquettes along with the lettuce and sprinkle with sesame seeds.