Watch the video in sign language here.
For the dough
- In a mixer’s bowl, add the water, yeast and sugar.
- Whisk by hand so the yeast can activate.
- Add the flour and salt.
- Beat for 5-8 minutes using the hook attachment at low speed, until the dough starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl.
- Remove from mixer’s bowl and transfer to another bowl that has been brushed with 1 teaspoon of olive oil.
- Cover with plastic wrap or a kitchen towel and set aside for 1 – 1 ½ hours, until it doubles in size.
- When ready, dust a clean working surface with flour or semolina and place dough on it.
- Divide the dough into 5 pieces and shape each piece into a ball.
- Roll out each ball of dough into small oval shapes.
- Preheat oven to 200-210* C (392-410* F) Fan.
For the peinirli – pizza boat
- Divide the pieces of butter over each oval shape, about 10 g of butter for each.
- In a bowl, combine the gruyere, cream cheese and pepper, until the mixture comes together. At this point you can add any of your favorite herbs.
- Spread the cheese mixture nicely over each oval shaped dough, dividing it evenly between them and add the bacon.
- Create peinirli – pizza boat by raising the edges of the dough and folding it inwards to form a border.
- Line 2 baking pans with parchment paper and dust with some flour.
- Transfer peinirli to baking pans. (2 on one and 3 in the other).
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, making sure to switch the pans positions half way through baking time so that they all cook evenly.
- When ready, remove from oven and brush the border with melted butter.
- Sprinkle with some fresh oregano and serve.