Watch the video in sign language here.
- Rinse the lentils and drain.
- Place a large pot over medium heat.
- Coarsely chop the onion and add them to the pot along with the olive oil.
- Chop the carrots and celery into small slices.
- Add them to the pot and sauté for 3-5 minutes, until they soften.
- Thinly slice the garlic and add to the pot along with the bay leaves, chili flakes and cumin.
- Stir and add the lentils, chopped tomatoes and vegetable stock.
- Cover the pot and simmer for 45 minutes over medium to low heat.
- When ready, add the salt. (The salt is not added at the beginning so that the lentils don’t harden.)
- Cut 4 slices of bread from the country loaf.
- Place a grill pan over high heat.
- Add the slices of bread, olive oil, salt, pepper, and thyme. Toast until golden on both sides.
- Serve the lentils in a serving bowl and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of vinegar.
- Serve the toasted bread, anchovies and olives on the side.