- 3 large eggplants (1.4 kilos total)
- 1 liter chicken or vegetable stock, or 1 ½ liters of water and 1 bouillon cube
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 70 ml heavy cream
- 10 basil leaves
- olive oil
Lemony Grilled Eggplant Soup
Αdd to my “Recipe Book”
Need to login
- Start by grilling the eggplants. This will give our soup a nice, smoky aroma.
- Put them under the grill in the oven, for about 1 hour or until ready. Turn them over often. (Don’t worry if the skin chars slightly.)
- Chop the remaining eggplants into 2 cm cubes.
- Add some oil to a large pan and set over medium heat. When it gets very hot, add half of the chopped eggplants. Fry them until they turn golden brown on all sides. Use a wooden spoon to turn them over. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from pan and let them drain on a plate lined with paper towels. Season with some salt.
- Repeat the same process for the remaining chopped eggplants.
- Remove the grilled eggplants from the oven. Allow them to cool a bit. Use a sharp knife to slice them open. Use a spoon to remove the flesh, avoiding any black areas close to the charred skin.
- Cut up the flesh with a large knife. Add it to a pan, along with the stock, lemon juice, 1 ½ teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil, then turn down heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the fried eggplant cubes and simmer for another 5 minutes. Season to taste.
- Before serving, add the heavy cream and stir.
- Transfer to bowls, sprinkle with some finely chopped basil leaves and serve.
Nutrition information per portion
Shows how much energy food releases to our bodies. Daily caloric intake depends mainly on the person’s weight, sex and physical activity level. An average individual needs about 2000 kcal / day.
Are essential to give energy to the body while helping to maintain the body temperature. They are divided into saturated "bad" fats and unsaturated "good" fats.
Known as "bad" fats are mainly found in animal foods. It is important to check and control on a daily basis the amount you consume.
The main source of energy for the body. Great sources are the bread, cereals and pasta. Use complex carbohydrates as they make you feel satiated while they have higher nutritional value.
Try to consume sugars from raw foods and limit processed sugar. It is important to check the labels of the products you buy so you can calculate how much you consume daily.
It is necessary for the muscle growth and helps the cells to function well. You can find it in meat, fish, dairy, eggs, pulses, nuts and seeds.
They are mainly found in plant foods and they can help regulate a good bowel movement while maintaining a balanced weight. Aim for at least 25 grams of fiber daily.
A small amount of salt daily is necessary for the body. Be careful though not to overdo it and not to exceed 6 grams of salt daily
*Based on an adult’s daily reference intake of 2000 kcal.
*To calculate nutritional table data, we use software by