- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 leeks, washed and finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- coarse salt
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 bunch sorrel, stems removed and leaves finely chopped
- freshly ground pepper
Αdd to my “Recipe Book”
Need to login
Photo credit: G. Drakopoulos - Food Styling: T. Webb
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the leaks, onion, garlic, bay leaf and a large pinch of salt. Cook for about 10 minutes, just enough to soften them.
- Add the vegetable stock and kidney beans. Turn up heat. As soon as the soup comes to a boil, lower heat and simmer until all of the ingredients soften. This should take about 20 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Carefully puree 2 cups of soup in a blender. Return puree to pot. Add the sorrel leaves and cook for about 3 minutes over medium to high heat. When the leaves soften, season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Nutrition information per portion
Shows how much energy food releases to our bodies. Daily caloric intake depends mainly on the person’s weight, sex and physical activity level. An average individual needs about 2000 kcal / day.
Are essential to give energy to the body while helping to maintain the body temperature. They are divided into saturated "bad" fats and unsaturated "good" fats.
Known as "bad" fats are mainly found in animal foods. It is important to check and control on a daily basis the amount you consume.
The main source of energy for the body. Great sources are the bread, cereals and pasta. Use complex carbohydrates as they make you feel satiated while they have higher nutritional value.
Try to consume sugars from raw foods and limit processed sugar. It is important to check the labels of the products you buy so you can calculate how much you consume daily.
It is necessary for the muscle growth and helps the cells to function well. You can find it in meat, fish, dairy, eggs, pulses, nuts and seeds.
They are mainly found in plant foods and they can help regulate a good bowel movement while maintaining a balanced weight. Aim for at least 25 grams of fiber daily.
A small amount of salt daily is necessary for the body. Be careful though not to overdo it and not to exceed 6 grams of salt daily
*Based on an adult’s daily reference intake of 2000 kcal.